Wednesday, June 3, 2009

NHL TIME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Well I think its finally time to talk about hockey and Lord Stanley's cup.  It has been an amazing playoffs!  But, no one knows about.  I'm sorry they are not slam dunking the basketball every night as we see in the NBA.  They do have some of the most talented athletes on the planet playing on 2 centimeter thick blades on fricken ICE!!!!!!!  I have said it before and I will say it again, hockey is the most entertaining sport we have but because people don't understand how it works, they have no mainstream following.  Try watching a hockey game and then say that you didn't like watching the game.  You cant do it.  

I will admit that I have not watched as much hockey as I would like, but it is not because I don't respect the game or like other sports more than hockey.  It comes down to a few factors.  Some of these have recently been highlighted by the sports media.  The number of games during the season is absurd.  The fact that they play 82 games is a joke.  We could cut that number by 20 0r 30 and have the playoffs when nothing else is going on and everyone would  watch the penguins red wings series over the raptors kings game on TNT with Craig Sager.  Speaking of Sager, your suit looks horrible.  Another thing the NHL should do is to start MARKETING your game.  You can do this by getting off of the dumb ass bull riding network Versus and just give your games to ESPN for the first two years.  I know you are struggling for money so I have a plan for that too.  Get rid of 6 teams.  I have my thoughts on who the six should be but I want to hear who you think should be gone.  

Sid the Kid and Ovechkin should go on a media tour once the playoffs start.  They should be on every talk show and sports program available.  They can even have a fake fight if that gets people going.  Then the NHL should rig the first playoffs of this first shortened season and have Ovechkin traded to the red wings and have another wings penguins finals.  It would be amazing!!!!

I think once the Wild start playing the free agent game and drafting the better players(not the ones Lemaire wanted) they will be a contender.  They have the money that a lot of teams do not have and the fan base that wants to see a winner badly.  The wild have some great pieces in Koivu, Backstrom, burns, and maybe Gabi.  They need the talented role players that can score and not the defensive minded drones we have had the past 6 years.  I like the shakeup that we did after the season and it will breathe new life into an organization that was on the verge of losing a lot of its fan base.  

LONG LIVE THE NHL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Am I still your guys only follower? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just asking, but the Wild have more money than other teams? This seems strange for a Minnesota team. I guess this is just because we are in the State of Hockey? If so, how come you don't ever really hear about the Wild? You can't have a bandwagon fan base and consider your state the state of hockey, can you?

    Absolutely the NHL needs to get on a real channel, but the NHL marketing team has screwed up a lot in trying to make the game relevant. What are they thinking putting an NHL Finals game on the same night as an NBA Finals game? They've got to realize that they need to give themselves every chance to succeed, otherwise some other sport might be able to take its place as Sport Number 4 in the American sports lexicon. At least the NHL has nowhere to go but up.

    ReplyDelete